The Advocate has suggested that the greatest (i.e. only good) reality show ever, Rupaul's Drag Race, have a drag king contestant. That's fine, but it would be much more entertaining to have a whole drag king competition. One of the best parts of Drag Race is seeing all the different types of queens compete: beauty queens, funny queens, conceptual queens, androgynous queens, scary queens, singing and dancing queens.
I want to see punk kings, gangsta rap kings, cock-rocking metal kings, panty-dropping R & B kings, country kings, baggy-pants burlesque comic kings, and of course, Elvis.
I picked out some songs that make me think of different aspects of masculinity: swaggering men, heartbroken men, lustful men, romantic men, philosophical men, and suicidally depressed men (interesting fact: I can think of dozens of songs by men about suicide, but only one female one: "Gloomy Sunday". What's up with that?)
- "That's Life" - Frank Sinatra
- "Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J
- "Stand Tall" - Burton Cummings
- "Stroke" - Billy Squire
- "Fade To Black" - Metallica
- "Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music
- "Take Me to the River" - Al Green
- "Can't Help Falling in Love" -Elvis Presley
- . "My Prerogative" - Bobby Brown
- "When Doves Fly" -Prince