Sunday, December 29, 2019
Let's all pretend I didn't blow this off last year, like those black years when there wasn't a "Greetings, Friends" poem in the New Yorker.
Format once again ripped off shamelessly from the Librarian in Black:
Books -- The Buried Giant, Catch and Kill, The Water Knife, The Wicked Prince, Crooked, Beasts Made of Night, Bad Blood, Heyday: 35 Years of Music in Minneapolis, 53 Ready-to-Use Kawaii Craft Projects (featuring content from yours truly)
Comics -- Ooku, Order of the Stick, Digger, The Prince and the Dressmaker, Monstress
Movies -- Shazam!, Midsommar, Knives Out, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Rampant, Us, Rocket Man, Belladonna of Sadness, Logan Lucky, Kong: Skull Island, King Leopold's Ghost, Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, Crazy Rich Asians, Jobriath AD, FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened,
TV Shows -- Stranger Things, GLOW, Billions, Bojack Horseman, Travelers, Tuca & Bertie, RuPaul's Drag Race, Drag Race Thailand, RuPaul's Drag Race UK, Dragula, The Boys, Into the Badlands, Pose, The Umbrella Academy, Dirty John, The Magicians, Star Trek: Discovery, Westworld, Daredevil, The Good Place, Elementary, Red vs. Blue
Albums --Baroness: Gold & Grey, Windhand: Eternal Return, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats: Wasteland, Various Artists: Big Gold Dreams—A Story Of Scottish Independent Music 1977–1989, Robyn: Honey
Songs: Cellar Darling: "The Spell", Dorian Electra: "Flamboyant", Lizzo: "Juice", The Prodigy: "Light Up the Sky", Ministry: "Antifa", Beauty in Chaos: "20th Century Boy"
Apps --Reddit, TuneIn, Flickr, Artstudio, 8Tracks (sob)
Devices --iPad, iMac, Universal Laser Systems laser engraver, Apple Pencil
Events --Convergence, Anime Detour, ToshoCon, WMCN Reunion show, Como Obon Festival, Jawbox, Massive Attack, The Chills, First Avenue @The Minnesota Historical Society, Northern Spark @Rondo Library, Llamas @Minnesota Zoo, Egypt's Sunken Cities @MIA, Art and China after 1989 @SFMOMA
Items of clothing --Doc Martin black engineer boots, bespoke vest, bespoke jumper dress
Games --TimeZero, Hack the Planet, Tokaido, Lost in R'lyeh, Plants Vs Zombies 2, Candy Crush: Soda, Candy Crush: Jelly
Web sites --Captain Awkward, Fast 'n' Bulbous, r/AmItheAsshole, Instructables, Folk Horror Revival
Twitter Twerps --@N7IRL,@BootlegGirl, @midnight_pals, @DrunkestLibrary, @RealSardonicus
YouTubers -- Jimmi Pynk, MovieBob, Screen Junkies, Diamanda Hagan, Hey Qween, Camp Wannakiki, Tierzoo, PBS Eons, Moviebitches, Contrapoints
Materials - Japanese handmade paper, watercolor pencils, Mod Podge
Boyfriend --JSeux's winning streak is miraculous!
Tuesday, July 02, 2019
The Trouser Press Guide to New Wave Records, Page 378.
So, a few weeks back it was time to get back on the wheels of steel for my reunion radio show. I got two hours and a prime Friday night slot.
This year, my theme was 80s compilations, meaning compilations from the 80s, not newer ones focusing on the 80s. It was a tribute to the old days of no Internet and two hours of cool music on a college radio station with bad reception per day, when compilations were one of a few sources for new music. I pored over the list of compilations in The Trouser Press Guide to New Wave Records, then cross-checked the Burning Airlines mail-order catalog, or scoured record stories whenever I got to a city.
A view from the studio.
Last year, one of the other DJs recommended the DJay app for my iPhone as a way to get nice transitions between songs instead of the iTunes sudden-stop-and-start. I should have practiced more beforehand, but it went OK.
Andrea's Radio Show
Driving The Dynamite Truck--Breaking Circus, Big Hits Of Mid-America, Vol. 4
The Light Pours Out Of Me--Peter Murphy, One Pound Ninety Nine
Haunted When The Minutes Drag--Love And Rockets, One Pound Ninety Nine
Wichita Lineman--Glenn Gregory, B.E.F, Presents Music Of Quality & Distinction, Vol. 1
It's Over--Billy MacKenzie, B.E.F. Presents Music Of Quality & Distinction, Vol. 1
Product Patrol--Cabaret Voltaire, If You Can't Please Yourself, You Can't Please Your Soul
Waiting to Fall --Virginia Astley, If You Can't Please Yourself, You Can't Please Your Soul
Pink Frost --The Chills, Tuatara
Fish--The Clean, Tuatara
Death And The Maiden--The Verlaines, Tuatara
The Protagonist --Dead Can Dance, Lonely Is An Eyesore
Fish-Throwing Muses, Lonely Is An Eyesore
Cut the Tree--The Wolfgang Press, Lonely Is An Eyesore
Dub --Pylon, The Best Of America Underground
Like I Told You--Shoe, The Best Of America Underground
World War III--Suburbs, The Best Of America Underground
(I Belong to the) Blank Generation--Richard Hell & The Voidoids, The Great New York Singles
Little Johnny Jewel--Television, The Great New York Singles
Smash It Up--The Damned, The Last Stiff Compilation
Blue Boy --Orange Juice, C81
I Look Alone--Buzzcocks, C81
The "Sweetest Girl" --Scritti Politti, C81
Therese --The Bodines, NME C86
It's Up To You-- Shop Assistants, NME C86
Happy Head --The Mighty Lemon Drops, NME C86
Pleasantly Surprised--The Soup Dragons NME C86
We Could Send Letters Aztec Camera, The Indie Scene 1981
PS. This 8tracks playlist includes some tracks I didn't have time to play on my show.
Sunday, June 02, 2019
Remember this post on portable breakfast recipes? As someone who loves breakfast foods but doesn't like getting up before work to cook and doesn't want to spend too much of my money at fast-food joints, I have been working off and on to make my breakfast experience the best it can be.
The breakfast sandwich recipe from Lifehacker was missing two things: biscuits (so much better than muffins or croissants) and potatoes. For the biscuits, it turns out Cub sells Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits, which I'd never heard of since I'm not a big seafood person, but turn out to be great. Biscuits take a little more work to cook than store-bought muffins, but the taste is so worth it. You do need a pan like this to make sure the biscuits have the structural integrity for the sandwich ingredients. For cheese, why use cheap shredded cheddar when you can get something good like Kerrygold Dubliner.
After some experimentation, for the eggs I went with canned mushrooms, Italian seasoning, parmesan and a splash of milk. Different people can use different seasonings/veggies, but you might as well maximize your taste experience with flavors you won't get at McDonalds. I decided on Provolone for the cheese and Canadian bacon for the meat because I'm lazy and don't want to cut them to fit the biscuit. I do have a round cutter for the eggs, so I could change the fillings in the future.
But breakfast just didn't seem complete without potatoes. The only memorable food from the Hardee's in my home town was the little hash brown patties, and Ore-Ida has something similar.
Tips for making breakfast sandwiches:
- PAM cooking spray is your friend when it comes to getting biscuits out of the pan.
- Cook the potato patties in the oven as directed before freezing, then wrap them in tinfoil and put them in a Ziploc baggie in the freezer.
- Wrap each sandwich in tinfoil and put as many as you can fit in a Ziploc baggie in the freezer. If you make the biscuits and sandwiches on different days, you can freeze the biscuits and use them later, they will still taste fine.
- Heating the sandwich and patties in the microwave for 90 seconds on 30% power, then 50 seconds on 100% power works for me, your microwave may vary. If you heat in a toaster oven, take off the top of the sandwich and put it face-up next to the rest of the sandwich. Cook for 10 minutes at 250 degrees. Test the center to make sure it is heated through.
You could make the recipe more low-calorie with egg whites, turkey Canadian bacon, light cheese, etc. I don't know that fresh veggies like tomatoes or spinach would work frozen, you might have to add them at the last minute. The Cheddar Bay biscuits also taste just fine without cheese. Try different things and let me know how it turned out!
Friday, May 24, 2019
- All Tomorrow's Parties (Velvet Underground) - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Japan, Apoptygma Berzerk
- Black Betty (Traditional)- John Spencer Blues Explosion*, The Melvins*, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
- Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath) - Flower Travelin' Band, Type O Negative
- Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (Klaatu) - Babes In Toyland, Langley Schools Music Project
- Cold Turkey (Plastic Ono Band) - The Godfathers, The Soft Boys
- Dancing Queen (ABBA) - Carol Douglas, Milo Binder
- Don't Slander Me (The Roky Anderson Band) - Lords of Altamont, Lou Ann Barton
- Fever (Little Willie John) - The Cramps, Eno & the Winkies, Adam Freeland & Sarah Vaughn, The Jam, Peggy Lee, Suzi Quatro
- House of the Rising Sun (Traditional) - Flower Travelin' Band, Camodian Space Project
- I Got You Babe (Sonny & Cher) - The Dictators, UB40
- I Have Always Been Here Before (Roky Anderson)-Julian Cope, The Nomads
- I Heard It Through the Grapevine (Gladys Knight & the Pips)-Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Slits
- I Think We're Alone Now (Tommy James & the Shondells)- Lene Lovich, The Rubinoos
- Mexican Radio (Wall Of Voodoo)- Celtic Frost, Polvo
- Night Time (The Strangeloves)- Bauhaus, The Nomads
- Paint It Black (The Rolling Stones)--The Avengers, The Feelies
- Pink Moon (Nick Drake)- Sebadoh, Walt Mink
- Reverberation (13th Floor Elevators)- The Jesus & Mary Chain, ZZ Top
- Tainted Love (Gloria Jones)- Soft Cell, Marilyn Manson
- Take Me to the River (Al Green)- Bryan Ferry, Talking Heads
- Who Do You Love? (Bo Diddley)-Jesus & Mary Chain, The Woolies
- You're Gonna Miss Me (13th Floor Elevators)-The Nomads, Doug Sahm & Sons
*From the same 7"